Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    More snow - Derwent Bridge to Strahan

    November 15, 2021 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 7 °C

    We woke to see everything covered in snow and were glad our car had been parked under a carport overnight. We did a quick visit to The Wall in the Wilderness, which is a 100 m x 3 m wooden sculpture that has taken over 11 years, 7 days a week to carve. Photos are not allowed, but if you’re ever in the area pop in because it is amazing.

    Next, stop was Lake St Clare where we had planned to do a short hike. Until we got there and it was about 1 degrees and covered in snow. Dashed out for a quick look at the lake. Graham was feeling especially brave and hit me in the back of the head with a snowball.

    Ok, there are a LOT of waterfalls in Tasmania. We stopped a couple of times and after getting out the car the rain/snow/cold weather made us realise we don’t need to see them all. At one stop this sweet little bird landed on the bonnet to warm up. I don’t blame him!

    The final leg was driving a stretch called 99 Bends. Driving 99 Bends in the snow was an exciting experience! I asked Graham to slow down and he said “yep, no worries” and continued on at the same speed.

    And here we are in beautiful Strahan. It was worth the 99 corners to get here.
    Read more