Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 79

    Seisia to the top

    August 2, 2022 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 28 °C

    A very dusty trip up from Weipa to Siesia. It took the full day to cover around 400kms. We didn’t think we’d do the whole stretch in one day but we did after arriving at the ferry in plenty of time. A lunch stop at Bramwell station and later a short trip on the ferry across the Jardine river and onto Seisia. Due to lateness of arrival we stayed in Seisia for the night.
    Whilst we knew there was a lot of dust along the way, opening the caravan door to a van full of dust was very disheartening at the end of the day. It took us an hour to de dust. When I opened my clothes drawer I was very upset to see all our clothes were covered in red and the top layer was quite thickly covered.
    Luckily we are camped right on the water and a short stroll to the jetty and along the beach was refreshing, which helped me deal with the dust problem
    Day 1 we just hung out around the campsite dodging the rain.
    Day 2, we drove to the tip, sumerset, Then Punsand bay for lunch, and Loyalty beach. When we returned to Seisia we decided to go fishing. So out we went to hunt and gather with the bucket, bait and fishing rod. Well actually Jamie went out with bucket, bait, fishing rod and me. Whilst Jamie was trying to catch some fish off the jetty, I went to talk to the locals who were the only ones reeling in fish. They we really friendly and had lots of local fishing knowledge to share. In the end it was my chatting that gave us fish for dinner. 🤣 By the time I had my fish a crowd had gathered and the locals were very happy to demonstrate their fishing skills. They also feed the groupers and sharks under the jetty for all us tourists to watch and cheer.
    We enjoyed our Queen fish for dinner, cooking it according to Johnny’s instructions. It was quiet a nice fresh fish meal.
    Read more