Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 89

    Cooktown

    August 12, 2022 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 26 °C

    A very windy but beautiful stay in Cooktown. Jamie worked 3 days whilst I explored town and continued to wash away red dust. The first day we explored south of Cooktown and visited Bloomfield falls, drove some of the Bloomfield track, at lunch at the Lions Den and finished the day visiting Trevantham falls and Keating Lagoon.
    At the Lions Den it was lovely to run into and have lunch with some of our rescuers, Pam and Ian. They were very happy to see us and hear that everything worked out well.

    During Jamie’s work days I visited sights and walked around Cooktown. A very beautiful waterfront, some lovely back beaches on the ocean and a stunning Botanical gardens were some of the places I visited. Finch bay in Cooktown reminded me very much of Norman beach and tidal river at Wilson’s prom. Beautiful beach, large boulders and a river winding though the sand and out to sea. The differences were 🌴and 🐊. We viewed a sunset from grassy hill, but unfortunately it was cloudy and hazy. Still, very pretty.
    The day prior to leaving, Jamie wasn’t working so we explored north of Cooktown. We visited Endeavour falls, something across a road and the coloured sands at Elim beach. All was very beautiful, as we have discovered is the norm in the Cooktown region. We didn’t manage to find or drive far enough for Isabella falls but we did discover the pretty little falls across the road instead. Elim beach is tucked away but a lovely spot to visit. Like most beaches up here it is no swimming due to crocodiles. We walked along Elim beach to the coloured sands cliffs and then up, and down, 😅 a huge sand dune. A beautiful view from the top but a very hard very hot climb. Unfortunately I was not wearing a hat or carrying a drink, so I didn’t make it all the way to the gorge. There was no shade at the top of the sand dunes☹️We went on a date night🤣, as opposed to every other evening we spend together, which was a lovely dinner in town. My fish was sadly undercooked in the middle, so we were given dessert for free. What was cooked of the coral trout was lovely and all of Jamie’s was cooked. Luckily I had pretty much eaten enough fish. Dessert was pavlova for me and passion fruit cheesecake for Jamie.
    Read more