Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 119

    Paronella Park

    September 11, 2022 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 27 °C

    A slight detour inland took us to Mena Creek where we stayed at Paronella Park and took a drive up to the Mamu skywalk. Both were set in beautiful rainforest areas. I have absolutely loved the rainforests in FNQ. The patterns and layers of the plants is amazing. Once again it was only Me who climbed the 37meter tower, although Jamie did walk along the canopy walk.
    Paronella park is a ruined castle built on the banks of Mena falls. It was built in the 1930’s by the Spanish Jose Paronella. It was a lavish park at the times with cafes, a function/Ballroom and gardens containing views, walks, a kids playground and tennis. Unfortunately due to floods, cyclones and fire most of the castle has been destroyed. Jose also built the castle using sand and rocks from the creek below. This, although cheaper, wasn’t suitable building materials which also contributed to the castles demise. Jose had a dream to own a castle and after making his fortune in the sugarcane industry, he set about making it happen. Even though it’s mostly ruins the park is stunning and the new owners are slowly restoring what they can.
    Read more