Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 124

    Cardwell to Townsville

    September 16, 2022 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 29 °C

    We stayed the first night after leaving Mission Beach in Cardwell. We arrived after visiting and swimming in Murray falls. Very slippery getting into the water and only just saved my phone. Jamie braved the cool waters to also wade around. Cardwell has a spectacular outlook over Hinchinbrook Island. We had lovely dinner and drinks at a motel restaurant/cafe thing, after vetoing the stingy smelly pub. Best decision ever with a lovely view and great meal. We stayed overnight night 4kms north of Cardwell at a very small caravan park on Meunga creek.

    The next day saw us taking a short trip south to Lucinda. It was 30oC at 10am so we stopped at 5 mile creek for another fresh water dip. The water was a very clear and beautifully refreshing. Lucinda is situated behind Hinchinbrook Island and on the moth of a river. It is a hobby fishing Mecca. There is also a 5km jetty for the shipping of bulk sugar cane. Fishing and photography at Dawn. One was more successful than the other🌅! Saw turtles and some kind of spotted sting rays as well as a sunrise over the ocean

    The next day we drove to a caravan park on the beach called Rollingstone beachside resort. It’s pretty impressive. Along the way we stopped at Big and little Crystal creeks. Too many people at Big Crystal Creek but a lovely swimming hole and camping area. The falls and little Crystal creek were beautiful. Lots of pretty Butterflies, spectacular scenery, a waterfall and swimming holes. I enjoyed a very refreshing swim whilst Jamie contemplated a dip.
    Rollingstone caravan park was big but all by itself on the coast. Great facilities with a fantastic pool.
    Onto Townsville after a stop in Balgal bay. A little walk along the beach but ideas of a wade cut short as I saw many stingers washed ashore.
    Read more