Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 9

    Amazonas, Uyacali/ Maráñon River

    January 15, 2022 in Peru ⋅ ☁️ 29 °C

    Basically we had every day a program designed by our guide Carlos, who has a stunning knowledge of animals, plants and the jungle environment.
    When we arrived, Mario, Oyvend and me got a room together in the Lupina lodge wich maybe had 10 rooms in total. There was a shared eating space we´re everybody met for the specified meals.
    Breakfast at 7:00 (Mostly eggs, potato, plantane and fruits).
    For lunch at 1pm and dinner at 7pm the kitchen served us all different kind of peruvian dishes, based on chicken, fish, rice, quinoa, lenses etc. wich all tasted really good. For dessert we got different fruits like watermelon or mango.
    So the days and the programm were pretty clocked, but one activity was better than the other.
    We started with watching pink & grey dolphins wich swum in the different river arms, in light and black water. On some spots they were mixing up wich looked like a Fredo cappuccino.
    I always thought it would be a no go, to swim in these waters, but after we watched the dolphins we went to sandy beach were we dipped into the water. I was only really conscious not to pee, to not give a chance to the penis fish and Piranhas don’t like human meat anyway.
    Next day we went to monkey island were we could feed small monkeys with bananas. One attacked Carlos and didn’t went off his had, gave him several scratches and bit his neck (he said, she was on her heat). Somehow he managed to throw her off, while we distracted her with a cheese-ham sandwich.
    In the evening we packed our stuff for a night in tents 2 hours away from the lodge. As we arrived at the spot, the sun was already going down and we had to hurry to build up the camp.
    It was almost full moon so the crocodiles we wanted to catch could also see us, wich made it even harder. We were driving around as Carlos suddenly stopped the boat at some water reefs and pulled out a baby crocodile (maybe 1m big). If you blind them with your flashlight they stand still like a dear on the road.
    As we arrived at the camped we opened a fire had some eggs with bread and listened to Carlos evil spirit storys of the amazon.
    The night was so full of noises of different animals we could barely sleep. In the morning we lit up the fire again and had coffee + chicken & rice. lol.
    So we packed up all our stuff and went for fishing on our way back to the lodge were we caught several piranhas, catfish and sardines wich we had deep fried for dinner. We also got into really hard but warm rain showers over and over again, so we covered up our boat with a plane.
    Back @Lupuna Lodge, we visited the community of San Pedro wich was located nearby our lodge. The only place by far to get a phone signal and some groceries. The village was one street with wooden houses on stilts colored in all varieties. In this street there were children playing volleyball & soccer all muddy in the rain. Of course Mario and I joined and showed them what a proper Grätsche is. At the end of the street was a regular soccer court surrounded by palm trees <3
    The jungle was pure magic and I´m looking forward visit it again maybe next month in Ecuador.
    Read more