Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 18

    Kantishna - Back of beyond, Alaska style

    August 19, 2017 in the United States ⋅ 🌧 6 °C

    Today we had a very early start, as our tour bus left the Denali Wilderness Centre at 6:15 am. The day was again bleak, drizzly cold and foggy, but when we met with our tour guide, John, he was very enthusiastic and knowledgeable, and we knew we would have a good day.

    We had a small group of 15 for this tour - it is the longest tour in Denali National Park (you can only go in there with NPS tours), and we were set to see right to the end of the 92.5 miles of road. We piled into what looked like an old school bus (see pic!) and set off. John explained the history of the park, and many interesting facts. Unfortunately, Mount McKinley (20000 feet high) was nowhere to be seen, as it was totally cloud covered, but we learned that only 30% of visitors to the area ever get to see it, due to the cloud making that comes off it.

    However, there was still much to be seen, and with John's expert eyes along with the eager eyes of the passengers we saw all manner of wildlife: moose cow and calves, many bears, lots of caribou, ground squirrels, eagles, ravens, and all other sorts of bird life.

    The road was quite narrow over treacherous cliffs, and Cathy was quite nervous at times, but our driver John was very capable, and we felt very safe.

    At 87 miles in, we hit Wonder Lake, and there at the Ranger Station, we picked up Ranger Doris, who regaled us with stories of early inhabitants of the area, and giving us insight into how difficult it must have been. Doris walked us through what berries and plants can be eaten, and medicinal plants as well... At the 92.5 mile point, we hit the end of the road. There is an airstrip here, as people in tiny single engine planes fly in to hike. It was a long trip, 12 hours all up, and we met some nice people. (The first Aussies we have met on the whole trip on this bus of 15 came from Baulkham Hills...haha)

    At the end of day, we had to drive 100 miles to Wasilla, about 40 miles from Anchorage for a good nights sleep.
    Read more