Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 25

    Ketchikan, United States

    August 26, 2017 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 14 °C

    Just arriving in Ketchikan, Alaska - touted as the Salmon Capital of the World. As we are docking, I thought I'd share a few pics. We are off to what I expect to be a very kitsch Lumberjack show... Haha. We purchased tickets in Oz online well before the trip, at about 25% of what they are charging on the ship... My tour guide thinks of everything!!!

    Will report back later!

    The Lumberjack Show was a little twee, but showcased the skills required for timber orders. It was fun and a good hour long show.

    Ketchikan is an interesting town, with a strong river in the centre of town, with a salmon ladder, complete with salmon swimming upstream. The "old" part of town showcases the history, being where the loggers andfisherman spent their free time and hard earned dollars, as evidenced by the signs at Dolly's house.Ketchikan gets 16 feet of rain (yes, you read that right!). We were lucky today, to have only an overcast, but dry day, maximum temperature 15 degrees.
    Today we had a very nice long chat with our lovely youngest daughter over coffee in a Cafe. We miss the family very much, so it made us a little homesick.

    Tomorrow we spend at sea, sailing the Inside Passage. We will be looking for some big marine life (hopefully a whale or two will come play), before docking in Vancouver on Monday, and more adventures in Canada!
    Read more