Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 47

    Bayona Beach

    August 27, 2021 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 19 °C

    We go swimming at the beach just below the castle at low tide in around the rocks. Luckily we all have are goggles because it the best place yet for underwater life. It’s hard to believe that there are more fish at this town beach than we saw in the lslas Cies nature reserve. There is one shoal of fish that are so relaxed in our midst that we have to swish our arms in front of us so we don’t swim headlong into them.
    After our close encounter with the fishies, we lie on our towels to dry off and find that we have the best perch on the beach to watch a mini - drama unfold . 4 boxum, bikini clad, leather skinned retirees return to their towels and are none to pleased to find that a couple has squeezed into the spot between them and us. They make their views known but the new arrivals hold firm.The main point of contention is a beach mat which while nobody is on it, the blow-ins refuse to move it. The four golden girls voices go up and octave, dirty looks and hands fly, all of this is ignored by her ladyship in her deckchair and her husband. Fury takes over and the biggest and boldest of the ladies jumps out of her deckchair while shouting and makes a grab at the beach mat. She trips over on the way, falls down and screams ‘aye, aye aye’. Now the whole beach is watching as she writhes in pain and her friends massage her leg and throw looks you wouldn’t see in a high school drama.The moustached husband loses nerve and starts to gather their stuff. As he attempts to pick up the offending beach mat, down comes the foot of his wife, ‘not on your nelly’ she mutters in Spanish - ‘go back to your rock’ and he duly does. ‘No dinner for him this evening’ Ronan says.
    Read more