Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 139

    Los Abuelos

    November 27, 2021 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 14 °C

    On most school mornings the four of us sit in the cockpit for our DIY Spanish class. We are all at the same (low) level and take turns teaching each other new words. Today we learn Mis Abuelos - my Grandparents - because Margaret and Donal have come to visit.
    They are staying in an Airbnb in the town - just five minutes walk from the boat so we spend most of our waking hours together.
    It is lovely showing them around the town so they get a feeling for our little life here in Cartagena. They meet Ruby and Colm’s Danish friends; Lukas, Silas and Noah and watch them all rollerblade around and around the Sub-aqua museum. This is where the kids always hang out but they have never been inside. We finally go into the museum with Margaret and Donal - It’s fascinating; I never gave much thought to underwater Archeology but I learn how important it is in putting the jigsaw of history together. At least that’s what they tell us in the sub-aqua museum, but of course they would think it’s important wouldn’t they.

    We see a team of regular, bog standard archeologists at work when we bring Margaret and Donal to see the Roman Amphitheatre. They are hard at work on their hands and knees brushing back the earth layer by layer with small paintbrushes - their patience and dedication is incredible to see.
    Margaret and Donal walk the streets and hills of Cartagena exploring different parts of the town. Sometimes its just the two of them but mainly some or all of the crew of Regal join them. On one of the many sunny days all six of us walk out to our nearest beach. Five of the six go for a quick dip, all in the same spot in the water but Colm is unlucky and gets a jellyfish sting. The picnic helps take his mind off it and he manages the 40 minute walk home.
    From the cockpit of Regal we see that a super yacht has landed in on the breakwater outside us so we all go over for a gawk. It’s called ‘Vibrant Curiosity’ and she’s enormous. Ronan finds out that she has 26 crew, cost 150 million euros and belongs to the owner of Wurth. Another evening Colm and I wander out to have another look at her and there is a guy running on the treadmill in the gym at the back of the boat - just like Kendall Roy in a scene from ‘Succession’.

    There is something on every weekend in Cartagena and Margaret and Donal are first to spot people in old fashioned costumes gathering outside this city hall on Saturday morning. This weekend’s event is a commemoration and re-enactment of something that happened in the 15th century in Holland… or at least that’s what we understand with our terrible spanish. Regardless of what it is for, we were entertained. Throughout the weekend there are people dressed up as soldiers, noblemen, clergy and peasants re-acting historical events or just wandering around or having a coffee. We even spot some old fashioned children and the cutest noblemen’s baby you ever saw.
    On Saturday evening Ronan and I go out for dinner while Colm and Ruby have a sleepover in the airbnb with Nana and Grandad. They stay up late watching telly and playing cards. A hundred and ten is the game of choice and many rounds are played and enjoyed with Margaret and Donal during the week. They even squeeze in a few hand before they bid their final farewell.
    It is a week of farewells as the Danish kids are also leaving. They have sold their boat and are returning to Denmark until they find a suitable Catamaran they want to buy. Their van is packed full of all their belongings ready for the 32 hour drive back to Denmark. Before they leave the five kids spend the whole day together until we call bedtime. We all hope they will find their perfect boat somewhere nearby Cartagena and sometime soon.
    Read more