Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 294

    A Formentera road trip

    May 1, 2022 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 17 °C

    Leaving Espalmador on the 31st, we went over to a little bay nearby to Formenteras port town. We launched our dingy for the first time this season, and went in to the town for a little evening visit. The town, called La Savina, is the main port for all the ferrys, but not the actual “Capital” of the island. We has a lovely dinner ashore and did a spot of shopping.
    On the first day of summer we sped in to La Savina bright and early. On our little inflatable punt, we went up through the shallow channel, into the almost-landlocked bay where all the fishing boats are kept.
    Once in the town, Mom and Dad set about trying to negociate a car rental for the day. We went to several different dealerships before settling on a Suzuki Jimini. It was a jeep-style convertible, with openings where the back window would be, and one about the drivers head. It had only two doors and an extremely small boot, but it was just the car for what we had in mind.
    After a quick coffee, we all hopped in the car and sped off. Cruising down the road with the radio blasting, passing fields filled with goats or sheep, solitary trees and wild rosemary was certainly an experience, and not one we will soon forget.
    Our first stop was Sahona, where we spent the night a week beforehand. It was lovely to see the place from a different angle, and when we saw the swell rocking a boat there, we were more than happy not to be in their position!
    The second place on our whistle-stop tour of the island was a lighthouse on the southwestern-most point of Cap De Barbaria. It stood in the middle of a grassy sea, with the wind whispering through it and tiny lizards basking in the sun. You couldn’t go inside the lighthouse, only walk around it, so we went for a little ramble through the fields. The grass, rosemary, and flowers ended abruptly at red cliffs plunging into the sea. Seagulls wheeled overhead whilst the waves crashed against the rocks far, far below.
    I got to walk along the cliffside, while the others piled into the car and drove the roundabout way to the third location, which was an old round tower. The “Torre” (In Spanish) was similar to a Mortello tower, except that it was smaller and slightly reddish.
    After a quick snack back at the car, it was in again all the way to Playa es Arenals, a beach on the south side of Formentera. Dad and i shared a snooze on the sand, before we all went in for a swim!
    Then we went to a small town on the opposite side of the island as Arenals called Es Calo. We had lunch at a lovely cafe, which was next to a small cove that fishermen used to house their boats. The water was beautiful, and there were several boats anchored offshore. Every now and then, a man from one of the other restaurants would walk down to the small pier, hop into his RIB, and speed off to one of the boats. He would return with a crowd onboard, see them up to his workplace, and then hop in again to repeat the whole thing!
    We then went to a town on the more southeasterly point of the island. The town was called El Pilar De La Mola, and is famous (At least on Formentera) for hosting the hippie market! We had a good look around, but the market only really sold artwork and jewellery.
    There was a beautiful viewing point a little back the way, and that was where we went to next. After a walk through the gorgeous pine woods, we arrived at a little rocky outcrop with a view that you’d think could only be seen from a plane! It was amazing to see all of the island from way up high, pointing out the places we had just been to. What’s more, is that here were some extremely curious lizard on the rocks! If you could sit still for a short while, they would nearly try to climb up onto you!
    Our final stop was a church, but not just any old one. This was Capella Siglo XIV, one of the final remaining fortified churches in the world! As by now we were all quite tired, it was a drowsy drive back to the port to return the car. We went from the car rental to the dingy, and then back to the boat for an early night. It had been a great day, and certainly a memorable first of May!

    Notes: This chapter was written by Ruby ^_^
    Read more