Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    Day 3 in Dublin

    October 6, 2018 in Ireland ⋅ ⛅ 6 °C

    Dublin Castle is a popular attraction with guided tours often being booked out, so we lined up first thing this morning for the first tour. It really is an interesting place, even though there is very little left of the original castle.

    The sheer opulence was impressive and when you take into account that it was often used for unimportant, i.e. social, occasions it was a waste of money from an Irish perspective.

    Next we headed over the Luffy to the GPO where there is a splendid museum that documents the 1916 Easter Uprising. Too many civilians were killed for it to have been a success at the time.

    Last on our list of attractions was the EPIC museum of Irish emigration. While the great famine was mentioned it was really about the reasons the Irish left their homeland, and how many of them ended up making a success of their lives by doing so. Many parts were very moving, especially the transportation of women and religious.

    Being time for dinner we headed back to our hotel, looking for another nearby pub that served good food in a quiet environment. No such luck, so we ended up back at the Ginger Man pub where we had another nice meal.
    Read more