Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 9

    North of Galway

    October 11, 2018 in Ireland ⋅ 🌧 12 °C

    Breakfast in our Youth Hostel was just fine, for the money. We have been spoilt with served cooked breakfasts, but this morning we had to look after ourselves. The biggest problem was being out in time to avoid a parking ticket!

    The weather was not too good but we headed up towards the Cliffs of Moher, which as everyone knows is a classic destination. The Doolan Ferry Co had cancelled for the day, and as visibility was not great, plus the swell was a bit high, we didn’t avail ourselves of the other operator!

    We then drove on, through Galway and along the Atlantic Way. It follows the coast very much, notwithstanding the condition of the roads. We went from reasonable “N” roads to those where you had to stop and let some other bigger car or bus past. The weather varied from raining to overcast to sunny.

    Finally we arrived in Clifden, our home for the next two days. It seems a quaint village, but it does have at least four supermarkets so we should be able to eat tonight.

    Our place for the night had been rearranged to a better room, but as we really, really wanted laundry facilities we had to take our earlier booking, which was not quite as roomy.

    As I write this, the washing machine/dryer is working on a week of laundry and we have just had a lovely home-cooked meal washed down with some French and Australian Sav Blanc.
    Read more