Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 14

    Malin Head

    October 16, 2018 in Ireland ⋅ ⛅ 14 °C

    This was a morning when we didn’t have to be up early and given that the sun is up fairly late anyway, it was good to be able to have a leisurely breakfast before heading off for a walk.

    The walk up to the point was relatively easy until the wind started. By the time we had reached the top it was really strong, enough to almost blow Robyn off her feet! From the top we could see the place where there were white stones set into the grass spelling EIRE. This was done during WW2 to let pilots know that they were over Ireland, a neutral country.

    On our wind-assisted return we then walked in to the Farrens Arms for a coffee and to check our emails. There were two behind the bar and one customer, so there was plenty of time for them to chat to us. They were really quite interesting, and friendly.

    Trying to buy groceries in this part of the world has proven to be a challenge. We are self-catering and trying to eat well, walk well and drink well, but when potatoes and carrots are about all you can rely on it is slim pickings for the cook! In desperation we went in to Malin village itself, to no avail.

    The last thing for the day was to join the locals for a pint (or glass of wine) and this time there were a few more customers.

    Our walk home was just beautiful, with the sun going down and the sea just below us.
    Read more