Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 7

    Mont St Michel and others

    September 10, 2023 in France ⋅ 🌙 21 °C

    An early early rise for Beth and I today to go on our tour to Mont St Michel. Left our apartment at 6.00am and Uber over to the Eiffel Tower again…. can you believe it came back for me to see….
    Got on the bus at 7.00am and off we went. Our Tour Guide Fabio was lovely. Very informative about the region and all the surrounds. Unfortunately we thought we were going to drive through all the little towns on the way but we didn’t, straight down the motorway. Came across a 3 car smash and it looked bad!
    Onwards we drove, 90 mins later stopped at a servo for wee wee stop and food. (Driver has to have a break apparently. No toilet paper, I was the t-paper courier for beth but luckily found one sans full roll. Off we go and yes a further 3 hours, was at Mont St Michel. 10 min walk from the carpark to another bus to take us almost to the castle….did I mention it was pissing with rain at this point? and beth and i are drenched…
    Anyway troopers that we are, we walked through it, and then came the stairs…. I think about 2 million, I lost count, and my knees and back weren’t happy….But we reached the peak! Wow what a view… absolutely amazing place, the sun decided to come out after we got to the top… and you can see right over to Normandy.
    There was a movie made at the the Mont, with Sean Connery “In the name of the Rose’ they used one of the rooms for a scene… try and find it if ya like.
    Tour ended and down we had to traverse all of the stairs again…god sake! where are the escalators…
    Anyhoo, had a bite to eat then back down to catch the bus back to the tour bus.
    A further 5 hour trip back, traffic was bad, Sunday travellers returning to Paris, so they went through a small village off the motorway or it would of been another hours travel…. We alighted the Bus at 9.30pm. Decided a cocktail was required to get us from Eiffel tower location back to our apartment.
    Kelly and Louise went Amiens to see Kels sons Dans partners parents (they are french) so good opportunity to meet up with them. By all accounts it was a hilarious trip. First of all they went to the wrong train station, and arrived later than expected. Parlez vous Francais courtesy of Louise got them through all the pleasantries and although the hosts had hangovers from a wedding the previous day, they were thrilled to see them.
    Onward journey home, Kel got on the train, the doors slammed shut and uh oh Louise was on the other side…station side…. despite furious attempts to open the doors, aurevoir louise said Kel. Her train was chocka block and no seat. Lou got on the next train, she think it was business class and had a lovely time coming back…. worried someone might check her ticket.
    Susie had a day to herself, we were hopeful she would be the charm….but alas her ninja shopping skills are rusty…and not a damn thing was found.
    C’est la vie! We all climbed into bed damn exhausted and looking forward to Reims tomorrow.
    Read more