Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 14

    Caio Rome, made my dream come true…

    September 17, 2023 in Italy ⋅ ⛅ 19 °C

    Leisurely rise this morning. I was up early again, can’t sleep in no matter what I do… and the rest up shortly after. Beth cooked eggs again, so good to have breakfast in house. Nice relaxed start to the day before we walked the 700m to the Trevi Fountain. Lots of street markets and shops open so a little shopping was had. I managed to find yet another little shoulder bag, and a hat that doesn’t make me look like a flat head when it comes off 😝
    Few purses, more hats and scarves purchased and then off to see the fountain.
    It lived up to everything I had been told and you could here it from a fair way away, come around the corner and wow, just amazing. Lots of people there even at 10am but the girls said it would get busier. We got the obligatory pics and then just meandered on down to the Pantheon. There is a restaurant Kelly and Susie have been visiting for quite a number of years and that was going to be our lunch spot but before that lets rest and have a coffee. So sat people watching for awhile, and Kel said, we should go into the Pantheon and look at the dome. I had noticed a people on the steps who were scanning something so I said, looks like you have to buy tickets…NOOOO said the girls, we have never paid to go inside. Well YESSS they now do charge for you to look inside and the queues were mounting. Beth and I looked at each other and said no way are we doing a tour, the place will likely fall down on us given our record with tours.
    Had a look see around the place then went and sat at the infamous restaurant. The very handsome Antonio served us. Great guy, looked after us well. I saw lobster on the menu and after the Tasmanian Lobster I had, this was a steal at the price 😁 We all enjoyed our meals, me lobster, Kel had veal and Beth and Susie had a prawn and melon salad. Washed down with varying liquids that hit the spot on this beautiful hot day. Ps I had the canolli, girls had tiramisu 😋
    It was a looooong lunch and just what we needed. Took our time walking home, bartered on a few more hats, and finally got back to have a rest and recover before going out to watch the rugby.
    Grabbed a cab outside our place, price was 6 Euro compared to the Uber of 28 Euro the other night to get to the Irish pub again to watch the Wallabies get beaten by Fiji. There were a number of Australians there, one bloke in particular was especially obnoxious (his wife told him to settle down when he lost his shit at other patrons in the way of his view). WE had thought we might support the Australians but after watching his antics decided buggar it, lets rally the Fijians. They are a good team to watch.
    Home to watch Nottinghill (we are having a Julia Roberts revival) and thoroughly enjoyed it.
    Its been amazing to come to a city I have longed to see for so long. Thank you girls for agreeing on including Rome in our itinerary even though you have visited many times before. ❤️
    We are off to Valencia tomorrow… and we have a pool! My feet are happy just knowing that 😝.
    Read more