Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 18

    Weds Oct 19, 5:30 am: Spokane, WA

    October 19, 2022 in the United States ⋅ 🌙 39 °F

    Right before I went to bed, we got stuck behind a broken down freight train again. It wasn't clear how long we waited there. Once we got going, they tried to make up time by going as fast as possible, but they also had to pull aside fairly often so as to not obstruct other trains that were still on schedule. So the night was a mixture of very rocky (because they were driving this train like they stole it) and very still (as we waited on sidings for other trains to go by).

    So that meant we arrived in Spokane about 2.5 hours late. Which is actually a good thing because we got there around 5:30, instead of 3 am. Well, it was good for me, because I was up and could go watch the process of splitting the train into two pieces (one going to Seattle, one going to Portland). Not so good for the folks who were scheduled to get on the train at 3 am and got the added bonus of waiting in the station in the middle of the night for their train.

    Before they separated the train, they boarded the Seattle bound passengers on their part. They also loaded up on water. There was a whole forklift full of calcium chloride that I finally figured out they used as a deicing agent for the puddles on the platform that came from the water hoses.
    Read more