Satellite
  • Day 26

    Geumgang Park

    October 23, 2017 in South Korea ⋅ 🌬 17 °C

    Back on metro line 1, I plan to take the cable car from Geumgang Park. After a stop a man sits next to me and starts a conversation with me. Fortunately it's in English otherwise it would have been a little one-sided. He was interested in my origins and where I'd been travelling. As it turns out, he used to live in Japan. Anyway it's good to have that connection when you're on the road.

    I had to leave him with goodwill at Oncheonjang station. Walking around the streets there, it was a little tricky to find the cable car entrance. One thing you can guarantee in S Korea is that you will need to do a fair bit of uphill walking before you reach the cable car.

    I find the park and was directed to the cable car entrance. I'll do the round trip today rather than walk down. One of the last into the carriage (again) so minimal opportunities for photos on the way up.

    When we reach the top, I sit at a bench nearby and eat my lunch. Gimbap again, but I do like it. It's cheap, nutritious and very fiilling.

    After that I walk to the South Gate of the Geumjeongsanseong fortress built here (try typing THAT name when you've been drinking). There's 17 km of fortress walls remaining, I take way too many photos. Eventually I walk back to the cable car until I wander off the path and seek some local help to find it again. Thankfully, a man who speaks decent English in my time of need.

    There are only 3 of us in the cable car going down, giving me the opportunity to take way too many photos of Busan on the descent. The beauty of digital photography, they are easily taken and easily deleted.

    Back to the metro station, I disembark again to go to the e-mart. It's open, huzzah 😃. I pick up a nice bottle of Chilean red, then notice a pretty girl offering wine tasting. Sweet white, then a sweet red (Moscato). Dessert wines, not something I drink very often.

    Back to the metro station, I detrain at Nampo. I'm able to walk through the underground shopping complex from there to an exit upstairs that is very close to my hotel. Takes the traffic out of the equation.
    Read more