Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 1

    Day 1 - Cape Town to Ais Ais

    August 5, 2023 in South Africa ⋅ 🌙 7 °C

    Drive 800km
    Accommodation: Ais Ais NWR Camp site

    Our 22 day Honeymoon road trip through Namibia and Botswana was not planned overnight. A trip we both dreamt for a long time, we wanted to live this experience to the fullest. With a mix of wild, nature, adventure and luxury treats, this was definitely going to be a trip to remember.

    It started with weeks of preparation as we needed to get all our camping equipment, car 4x4 gear, stock up on food and drinks and book all the spots in advance. On Friday evening we packed and the car and finally hit the road of Saturday 5th of August.

    We left the city in the early morning surrounded by a thick mist. After 2.5 hours of driving through the dark, misty roads the sun showed itself going up the Citrusdal pass, where we stopped for a first sunny breakfast. The morning continued with car games and wild flower gazing.

    We planned a big drive to spend our first night in Namibia. Driving through the little towns of the Western and Northern Cape, and after a last stop in Springbok to stock up on some last supplies, we made it to the border. A smooth and friendly control later, we were back on the road. Very soon we swapped the tar highway for the Namibian gravel road. We drove through desolate, Mars-looking landscapes, until we finally arrived in Ais Ais on the bed of the Fish River Canyon. The camp is mostly visited by hikers embarking on a 5 day/90km trail, a journey we couldn’t fit into our trip this time but definitely plan on returning to.

    After setting up camp, we rewarded ourselves with a fresh beer, juicy steak, its minute beurre maître d'hôtel and a fine little whisky by the fire. Holidays have started!
    Read more