Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 15

    Day 15 - Chobe National Park

    August 19, 2023 in Botswana ⋅ ☀️ 33 °C

    Accommodation: Chobe Game Lodge

    Ah the joys of game lodge life!
    Waking up at 5am, heading for coffee and rusks at 5.30am and leaving for our game drive at 6am.

    We embarked in an electric Land Rover driven by our guide of the day: Botho, called Miss B.
    With us in the car, a couple from Tennessee, a mother and son from Miami and a lovely couple from England.

    Driving around the park watching the beautiful sunrise shine it's light on the animals was very magical. Fish eagles overlooking the river, bocks getting their morning stretches and...a single lion walking around. Wow what a treat we thought. Only to realize a few hundred meters further was the rest of the pride of 8. Chilling on the road, the older male lion surrounded by younger males and their females.
    Feeling extra lucky to be so close from such beautiful and powerful animals. Especially hearing the lionesses communicating in their deep roar.
    The messages may not have been clear to the male lion however, who seemed to have confused "should we go hunting" "want to come mating?" 😅
    Trying to make it up to her with some cuddles didn't seem to be the way to go either. (See video)

    Unfortunately after almost an hour, it was time for us to leave the cute cats to go explore the rest of the area. Spending a bit of time with some birds and we were back at Camp for breakfast.

    And boom time for our end of morning cruise on the river. No time to waste!
    The smooth glide on the river with the electric boat gave us a very relaxing time to admire from a close distance the elephants playing in the water, swallows playing around the boat and crocs patiently waiting for their pray.

    And without realizing it, it was time for food again. The lunch was served on a great observation deck from which we could see all the animals gathering around the water.
    Finally time for a nap! Lodge life is a hard life indeed!
    At 3.30 pm Miss B welcomed us again at the boat for the sunset cruise.

    Spending again loads of time observing elephants playing in the mud and refreshing themselves in the cold water, we then made our way to another bank occupied by a family of monkeys.
    Between the teenagers trying to ruffle the feathers of very defensive Lapwings, elders trying to educate and babies carelessly playing around crocs, it was quite a show. And despite the many attempts of the croc to move in between the playing branches and trying to blend in with it's environment to trick the babies, the monkeys made it out ok. Or at least until we left at sunset.

    Enjoying the rest of the evening at the bar with joyful conversation with the British couple, exchanging stories about animals and travels.
    Read more