Satellite
  • Day 113

    Camping Lows Bald Spot 1867.7

    August 24, 2017 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 11 °C

    The first thing we did in the morning was hiking up to Mount Washington! It was 6 in the morning and the "normal" hikers in the hut just started their day with pancakes, eggs and oatmeal. We just got to enjoy some hot fresh brewed coffee before we packed us in three layers of clothes and headed out. The wind felt pretty intense but later we've been told that it was a nice day :D I was definitely glad that I raided the hiker box a day before and got a jacket, vest, gloves and a hat. Despite all those things it was still a little bit cold. But we already arrived after just about an hour of climbing at the Visitor's center next to the summit.
    As it was still early in the morning there we almost only thru hikers in the building. When the snack shop opened we got ourselves a portion of nachos with cheese. The slogan of Mount Washington is that it is "home of the worst weather in the world". That sounds a bit exaggerated but it depends on the definition. In the Visitor's center is a list of people who died at or around Mt Washington to make people realize what they are doing when hiking around here. And the mountain is covered in fog for 300 days a year. Not my favorite place to go on holidays.
    After a two hour break there we went back on the trail and met a really nice man, Phil from England who is hiking Mt Washington for a day. We talked for about an hour while hiking before he pushed on to the next AMC hut. The hike to there was very rocky and uneven so it took us longer than expected to get there. They were running out of food for lunch but thanks to Phils conversation skills we got a soup and a piece of Shepards pie. Unfortunately Phil needed to go back to Gorham because his bus was leaving to Boston on the next day...
    We tried to push to the Pinkham Visitor Center which also belongs to the AMC. But a long, rocky and strenuous downhill hike left our knees, ankles and feet ruined. We set up our tent at a random place and then went to sleep hoping that the regeneration will do its job.
    Read more