Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 114

    Camping Carter Dome 1877.5

    August 25, 2017 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 11 °C

    As we didn't make it to the Visitor center for the night, we went there for breakfast. A lucky find in the hiker box added some wafers and raisins to the menu :) When we were finished, the Deli had opened so we went there for a bagel with cream cheese and a Grilled cheese. At least in terms of food we were fully energized. But on the trail we felt that the last day cost us much more energy, so our feet were still sore and the knees hurting. Like this we moved slowly up Wildcat mountain to a gondola. Unfortunately we didn't have the time to take the ride down to a restaurant ;)
    After another two hours of hiking we came to the last and oldest AMC hut in the Whites. We tried to get a work-for-stay but the spots were already taken. So we just ate our dinner there and then moved on to a camp spot.

    As promised the explanation about SOBO: It means south bound, so they are hiking from Maine to Georgia. Therefore we are NOBOs and there are way more going to Maine. There is some kind of rivalry between those groups even though we are united in the thru-hiker spirit. The third way to thru hike is flip-flopping which means that you jump over a section.
    Read more