Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    Rottnest Island

    January 6, 2022 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 22 °C

    After a week of driving we have finally stopped and we are settled in at Mandurah. a few day trips on the cards, first up Rottnest Island.

    After missing out on this adventure in 2021 due to a Covid lockdown, we were all super keen to check it out.

    This time Mel, Joel and Taj got to come with us. As we started on the ferry over Brett said “ I don’t know why we paid $155 for this, we could have brought the tinny over”! I told him that would be one Brett’s adventure he would have done on his own. I bet he was glad he decided on the paid ferry across, as on the way home it was so rough people on the top deck were getting wet by the waves 😂😂. I don’t think our little tinny would have made it. I was even starting to feel a bit under the weather with all the rocking.

    When we arrived, I was super keen to find a quokka, it didn’t take long, we got off the ferry and headed for the bakery and on the way under a tree was a family of quokkas 🤗🤗🤗. I couldn’t believe our luck, there wasn’t even anyone one trying to get photos, so we sat down and got photos. It says no patting, but they were too hard to resist. We even saw the last remaining peacock on the island.

    We decided against getting bikes and got the hop-on-hop off bus instead, and boy were we glad when we saw the hills and the puffed out people trying to ride up them.

    We enjoyed relaxing and snorkelling at three beautiful beaches, breakfast and lunch on the island and then we treated ourselves to some beers and cocktails at the top bar before we left. We also squished in few more photo sessions with quokkas along the way. The last quokka in the park was my favourite, she had a baby in her pouch and was more than happy to smile and pose for the camera.
    Read more