Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 329

    Gnaraloo Bay - Massive Tuna

    December 10, 2021 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 19 °C

    So glad we bought a gaff before this leg of the journey cause the boat may be small but it doesn’t stop us reeling in the big fish!
    Day two out with the groms chasing big sea monsters, another early start and we were rewarded. 10 minutes in and it was fish on, I handed Brax the rod and he reeled a 1200mm Spanish Mackerel to the boat for Lachie to gaff. After another smaller Mackerel was released, the wind was picking up but we decided to continue trolling. We started to idle with the qantas lure barely 10 foot behind the boat and before I could throw the second lure it got smashed by a 1150mm Northern Bluefin Tuna. It felt like we were on a Battle Fish Episode, it peeled over 100 foot of line before I could turn it and bring it back to the boat. Knowing how heavy this fish was I swapped Brax for the gaff and he struggled to hold it at the surface, it was twice as heavy as the same length Mackerel. Once it was in the boat we were so exited (as seen in the video) and Lachlan cried out “I am not done yet” which is a classic line from the TNT crew on Battle Fish when they don’t give up and it pays off with a big catch.
    We were stoked, bluefin tuna salad with rice and chutney is our favourite lunch. That night we enjoyed a pickled squid entree, fried mackerel coated in oyster sauce and panko crumb, fried tuna coated in salt pepper and olive oil, and my favourite bluefin sashimi, raw bluefin almost frozen then sliced thinly and soaked in light soy sauce then topped with pickled ginger and wasabi…… yum yum yum 😋
    All this was enjoyed with some friends of Sam and Rani’s, Alex and Bec who we met that day and were champions and great company.
    Gnaraloo has it all…… Surf Snorkelling Seafood 🤗
    I love this place 😍
    Read more