Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 17

    Day 14 Vertigo and Menin Gate!

    July 14, 2022 in France ⋅ ⛅ 17 °C

    It sure has been a strange 2 weeks! Covid has taken a crazy toll on my system and I haven't been able to kick it properly! Vertigo! I've never had it before but it's the side effect that's been knocking me around!
    I'll get out again today and hopefully a little more steady! It's a big one tonight...Menin Gate!

    The Menin Gate Memorial to the Missing is in Ypres, Belgium and dedicated to the Commonwealth soldiers who were killed during the battles on the Western Front.
    The last post ceremony has taken place every night at 8pm since 1928 and the local town via the Last Post Association have honoured the war dead through such a solemn and moving tribute.

    We were so privileged to be part of the evening proceedings by escorting an unknown Australian digger to lying in state for the ceremony. We celebrated discovering him and even though we are still unaware of his identity, it is only a matter of time before further DNA results will return a positive identification! Some of the Jonathan Church recipients escorted him in, I was honoured to play the digeridoo and our bugler Aaron played the last post. Others participated with the Ode of Remembrance and the Kohima as well as wreath layers. It was an amazing and memorable event that will stay with each of us for years to come. Tomorrow we I'll lay the digger to rest at Tyne Cot Cemetery.
    Read more