Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 3

    Gulbenkian museum

    June 8, 2018 in Portugal ⋅ ⛅ 18 °C

    We checked out of our hotel at 12 noon, and luckily they were ok holding our bags. Because the museum was so close to the place we were staying I thought it would be a good idea to see that museum today while we had to wait till 3 to check into the apartment. we did navigate our way to the subway where we got a viva via gem card. This is just like our compass card and you "zap" it when you enter and exit the stations.

    We walked to the Gulbenkian.....amazing museum. Lots and lots and lots of stuff to see. They had some lovely Egyptian reliefs, and carvings done in Obsidian and Basalt. Volcanic rocks from somewhere.

    They had an amazing persian section. Lots and lots of tiles, persian rugs, silk pillows. You can see the influence of the ottoman/turk tiles on the portuguese azalejo tiles.

    Then there was an asian section that we had to skip, just not enough time.

    Some pretty amazing french provincial furniture

    Then a lot of paintings, Turners, Rembrantds, more Dutch painters I didn't recognize, Gainsborough (english), Manet and Monet, Renoir, and some sculptures by Rodin. Eternal springtime one of my favourites ( I wouldn't have known the name unless i saw it, i just recognize the sculpture).

    Unfortunately the gift shop was out of the English guides, but they gave me an email address so I hope to get it on line in the future. We did pick up a small English language book on Gulbenkian himself the man.

    after the museum, colin gave me to 4, i renegotiated till 5. we hit a small cafe where we had espresso and 2 lovely egg type desserts. Very yummy and only 4 euros total. I think we worked off the desert on our hill climbing to find the apartment!

    We went back to the hotel, pick up the luggage, and took the metro. Transferring from the yellow line (campo pequeno) to the green line. We took the green line to the end Cais do Sodre. Then the uphill climb to our place, but it is rather close so when we leave it will be quick to go downhill to the metro and back to the airport. taking the red line.
    Read more