Satellite
  • Day 4

    Igreja de S. Vicente da Fora Lisbon

    June 9, 2018 in Portugal ⋅ ⛅ 17 °C

    This is the big church we saw from the first lookout in the afternoon from the sun gate. it was off on the horizon.

    It is quite close to the Panteao Nacional. There is an arch that you go under to access it. there was a big truck trying to get up the narrow street with cars coming the opposite direction and other cars behind the trucks, quite the traffic snarl. I couldn't believe that this huge truck was actually negotiating those narrow streets, but it did. The passenger got out and had to get some of the drivers of the cars to move before he could advance. Considering how narrow these streets are the Portugeues are very good drivers.

    There was a street party in front of the church, many tents, one of them labelled Dolores....my middle name! means sorrow in spanish I think.

    You can see a very small Colin in the bottom of one of those pictures, it gives you a sense of the scale.

    there were lots of statues in the small niches, one of them may have been st george, but not sure. one of the cherubs seemed to have a lot of arrows in him.

    the pergola with the fountain (and a pigeon in the fountain) was next to the church, it had a sign inviting you in, but not at this time of night. it was closed and locked!
    Read more