Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    Basilica de Estrela lisbon

    June 11, 2018 in Portugal ⋅ ⛅ 20 °C

    Basilica De Estrela - Maria I daughter of Jose I vowed she would build a church if she bore a male son. She did so she built this church in 1779, unfortunately her son died of small pox just before it was completed. 1790.

    The huge domed basilica set on a hill in the west of the city is a landmark in Lisbon. The church was built by architects from the Mafra schooling Late Baroque and Neoclassical style.

    the facade is flanked by twin bell towers and decorated with an array of statues of saints and allegorical figures.

    the spacious interior (no photos inside) where light streams down from the pierced dome is clad in grey, pink and yellow marble.

    The elaborate empire style tomb of Queen Maria 1 lies in the right transept. Locked in a room nearby is Machado de Castros extraordinary Nativity scene, composed of over 500 cork and terracotta figures (we skipped this it was 2 euoros)

    There is a tomb of Maria inside the Basilica. She died at age 81 in Brazil, during the napoleanic wars when the royal family had fled to Brazil. They brought her body back to bury her in her basilica.

    -the piedmont has one of those symbols that appears on the american money.
    Read more