Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 10

    baello claudia

    May 21, 2022 in Spain ⋅ ☁️ 23 °C

    we went to see this old Roman ruin on the next beach from where we are staying. you could walk it approx 6.5 km or so to get there or if you drive 33 km....there is no road over the headland! we drove being lazy. it was an interesting site. the phoenicians probably started the settlement prior to the Roman's taking over. the Romans arrived on the Iberia
    peninsula approx 300BC. because we are so close to Africa it was an important port city. the tuna also migrate by here twice a year on their way to spawn in the Mediterranean. the Roman's loved this sauce made from the entrails of both tuna and mackral. salt was also used in the preparation of this "garum" sauce. it was made at this site and transported by ship throughout the Roman world. The main east west road-Decumanus Maximus- has huge flagstones and sewage pipes under it but is a bit jumbled and uneven because of numerous earthquakes that have occurred here. a big one in 200 ad. after the big earthquake the walls were rebuilt with the smaller grey stones. another large quake in 600 ad led to the abandonment of the area. there is a large forum with numerous columns and a statue of Trajan - Roman emperor born in spain. (italica just outside of Sevilla.). the salt/fish procesing area. There are some Roman baths showing the underground heating system. a theater including the vomitorium where everyone exits the theater. a space for 3 statues the Capitoline triad of the gods Juno, Jupiter and Minerva. also later a temple to Egyptian goddess Isis. all roman towns were laid out similar, grid pattern, city walls with gate towers, forum, market , temple to the gods, public baths. there is also some of the old aqueduct still In place.
    Read more