Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 11

    Castillo de Medina Sidonia

    May 22, 2022 in Spain ⋅ ⛅ 20 °C

    Castillo de Medina Sidonia We walked up to the castle. Google had it open till 9 pm....Google was wrong it closed at 1830 so we could not get in. we did pass by the Doña Blanca Tower - where Pedro I imprisoned his wife 3 days after marrying her. some say he was already married to Maria de Padilla his mistress but he denied this as he needed the dowry from Dona Blanca . She would eventually be executed and Pedro the cruel would go to rebuild the Alcazar in Seville where he and Maria would live. Marie gave him many kids.
    The Maria baths at the alcazar, this from another website.
    "They receive this name because it is believed that Doña María de Padilla, the lover of King Pedro I the Cruel, walked naked through the palace and bathed in this beautiful stone cistern coated in lime. Legend also has it that Pedro I made all those who visited him drink from the water in which Doña María bathed. Once they drank, the audience began"
    Because we couldnt get into the castle we found a path that went all the way around the site. it was high and narrow but you really appreciate the strategic importance of this spot.
    the one pic shows just how narrow these streets are to drive along.....
    Read more