Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 11

    Faro de Camarinal

    May 22, 2022 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 19 °C

    We drove back home and tried once again to find the route to the lighthouse-Faro de Camarinal- which we did find this time! there is a hiking path that goes to Baello Claudia. we went along part of it. Beautiful plants and rocks. our first real sunset over the Atlantic. the beach to the south is called -Playa del Cañuelo- but only accessible by walking down a steepish looking path from the lighthouse. it is partially in the military base area. this area during WWII was strategic for the entry into the Mediterranean. there are bunkers just below the lighthouse which were used to supply the german submarines. this would have been where my dad's ship patrolled. funny how 70 years changes things. some of the villas along the.beach between where our villa is and the lighthouse were possibly built by former nazis masquerading as wealthy Spaniards. this beach is called Playa Los Alemanes. our villa is very Spanish feeling with lots of religious tiling and an absolutely amazing selection of plants. it was built in 1993 we were told by paloma the owners daughter. it was built up in sections over the years. lots of private terraces for the different units.
    the 4 bedroom unit next door all bedrooms had an amazing view of the water as did the front room and the kitchen. there was a nice selection of rose prints I believe by Redoute.
    this from a website:
    "Pierre-Joseph Redouté's Roses are perhaps his most celebrated images, which the artist issued while under the patronage of the Empress Josephine, wife of Napoleon"
    -Josephine had the most amazing collection of roses and Redoute was the artist who painted them for her.
    I suspect Palomas mom was a very keen gardener!
    Read more