Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    gabriola sands

    June 19, 2022 in Canada ⋅ ⛅ 15 °C

    checked out this beach. it is actually twin beaches where you can walk around the point. we went from Pilot bay to Taylor bay around Decourcy point. the beaches were beautiful fine sand and the point had that sandstone shelf. easy to walk on. terrific views of the summer sun sets from here.
    Pilot bay was where the 2 Spanish schooners Sutil and the Mexicana dropped anchor in 1792. Dionisio Alcala Galioano named the spot Cala del Descano....cove of rest. they traded with the first nations settlement x'c'umi:l'ucun a snuneymucxw first nations settlement that was in Taylor bay. they traded iron and Monterey abalone shells for smoked fish and cloaks woven from the hair of the white dog that the first nations kept. https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/artic…
    we saw a great exhibit at moa a few years back where they had some of these very old blankets on display. they were very warm and had beautiful patterns woven into them.
    we also saw and heard oystercatchers playing and searching for food in the seaweed. they have a beautiful long orange bill. and a very distinctive call.
    It was hot enough to actually put on the bathing suit and lie in the sun!!
    Read more