Satellite
  • Day 5

    Cradle Mountain

    February 25, 2018 in Australia ⋅ 🌙 9 °C

    We were up and about early and on our way to Cradle Mountain.

    There is a nice big freeway from Launceston to Davenport as that’s where the Spirit of Tasmania comes in but we decided to stick to the smaller back roads. We passed through a number of small towns and arrived in Sheffield, where we stopped for a bite.

    Sheffield is overshadowed by Mt Roland which is a massive mountain with very rugged slopes. Sheffield is also known for its town murals. These are painted on the sides of buildings, fences, and special mural stands in the park. They depict people from the town, the history of the area, and anything else of interest to the artist.

    After a break we were on to Cradle Mountain which was about an hour or so away.

    Cradle Mountain is seriously stunning. We were lucky in that it was a cloudless day so the blue sky and the blue of Dove Lake framed the Mountain itself perfectly. T and I did a lap of Dove Lake which is listed as one of the top short walks to do in Tasmania, it took us about two and a half hours.

    When we arrived the car park was full and they run a shuttle bus to the key points in the park. There were a lot of people around but it was not crowded, we managed to get most photos without people in them. Surprisingly there are a huge number of Chinese tourists travelling around Tasmania.

    We are staying in a rather spacious cabin on the edge of the park all very comfortable.

    We are in Cradle Mountain for tomorrow as well so we plan to do another walk and take more photos to add to the 100 I took today!
    Read more