Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    Cradle Mountain day 2!

    February 26, 2018 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 12 °C

    There are a number of walks you can do around Cradle Mountain ranging from 20 mins long to multiple days. Yesterday we did the Dove Lake loop which was a 2 hour walk so today we stepped up and went for a 4 hour walk up to the top of one of the peaks overlooking Dove Lake and Cradle Mountain.

    The paths are all very well set out with boardwalks and gravel paths to follow so it is pretty easy. We started from Ronny Creek where the Overland Track starts, this is a long track that takes a few days to do we were only walking a section of it.

    The track took us past some water falls and up to Crater Lake which is near Dove Lake. Then the climbing really started. It was pretty steep and in one point they had chains to pull yourself up.

    We eventually made it to Marion’s Lookout and the views were stunning.

    After a bit of a rest we started down. There were lots of people doing the walk but it wasn’t overly crowded.

    The walk down took us down a different way past a smaller lake called Lake Lilla and a small pool called the Wombat Pool before coming out at Dove Lake.

    We headed back to the entrance to the park and did a small 20 min walk called the Enchanted Forest walk through a grove of trees alongside a stream. On the way an Echidna was digging for food just next to the path.

    Talking about wildlife there is lots of it! Wombats are everywhere, there are echidnas and small wallabies all very tame though not looking for food from people they pretty much ignore you and go about their business.

    By then it was time for a rest and dinner at the Tavern attached to the Peppers Resort - actually very nice.

    Tomorrow is our Anniversary!! We will be heading on to Strahan on the west coast of Tasmania.
    Read more