Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2

    Snowdon

    July 26, 2022 in Wales ⋅ ⛅ 12 °C

    Well, yesterday was the first day of my 6 week sabbatical and today the girls and I climbed Snowdon! We didn't intend to go to the summit when we set out (we thought we would go part way up for some lunch) but Caitlin's determination got us all there!
    As she pointed out, it doesn't quite sound the same to say you've climbed halfway up Snowdon.
    Some absolutely breathtaking scenery and some fun scrambling on Pyg Track.
    As we got nearer the top we were told on a number of occasions (each about 20 minutes apart!) "just 30 minutes to go". But that helped spur us on and in the end the summit came sooner than expected.
    A couple of hairy moments coming down - we had all run out of energy (and biscuits) (and slightly low on water, eek) and weren't sure how we were going to make it down. Perhaps Bethan's realism (taking into account the downward journey too in what she thought could be acheived) should have tempered Caitlin's enthusiasm which completely died down once the thrill of reaching the top subsided! And then I took a tumble grazing my knee and hands. But fortunately there was space on the train down from Clogwyn (3/4 of the way up) - hurrah!
    Particular praise to Bethan who did this after having just got back from a weekend expedition involving 9 hours of walking.
    Some great memories and an overwhlming sense of acheivement. We will all sleep very well tonight.
    Read more