Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 22

    Inca Trail - Day 1

    August 15, 2022 in Peru ⋅ ☀️ 16 °C

    First Day

    On 15 August I set out on the Inca Trail. The Inca Trail is an iconic 4-day, 3-night hike which leads travellers from km 82 (the start point 40 minutes outside the town of Ollantaytambo) all the way to Machu Picchu via its exclusive Sun Gate.

    The good news is that it’s only 31 miles. The bad news? A significant chunk of that is up steep, narrow Andean mountain paths at altitude.

    We had porters with us all the way to carry the tents and other cooking and camping equipment, and most of our own kit too. They were amazing - they would set up camp for us, cook us amazing three course meals (unlike any camping food I have ever prepared, eaten or even heard of!), then after we had set off, pack up camp, run on ahead and set up camp again ready for our arrival!

    On the first day we were picked up from our hotel around 5am and driven to the start point, collecting our porters on the way.

    I set out on the hike around 8.30am with a family of five - a dad, Jeff, and his son Jake and sons-in-law, Geoff, Robbie and Drew.

    Day one was supposedly an 'easy day', only 7.5 miles and not at altitude, but a large proportion was in the hot sun and it didn't feel easy! (I later learned that due to a landslide a few months ago the route had been changed, and so was harder and longer than planned).

    After a welcome stop for lunch, we made it to the campsite around 4.30 pm. Dinner was waiting and, shattered, we turned in for the night at 6.30pm!
    Read more