Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 21

    Punta del Este, Uruguay

    January 23, 2020 in Uruguay ⋅ ☀️ 77 °F

    It is a tender port. Two years ago when we took a cruise around South America, the weather was pretty rough and be could not visit this port. This time it is calm, sunny and warm. We got on the first tender boat at 7:00 AM and by 7:30 were on the shore.
    Since it is a resort town we decided just to walk.

    The city has been referred to as "the Monaco of the South", "The Pearl of the Atlantic", "the Hampton's of South America", and "the St. Tropez of South America", being also compared to Miami and Cannes.

    So, at 7:30 in the morning was very pleasant and we went for a stroll by the ocean. Beautiful beaches, lots of restaurants. Then we turn on the shopping street. No people, every store and restaurant is closed. Nice.

    So we walked and we walked. Then we decided to go to a very plush resedential neighborhood. Expensive big houses. We crossed peninsula and walked toward Atlantic side of the land. The beach was as beautiful as on the other side, but with big waves.

    We stopped at the Light House restaurant on the beach and had a delicious lunch. Boris had a huge burger and I had garlic shrimp.

    We rested a little and kept going along the coast toward symbol of the city: a hand sticking out of the sand. Unfortunately by that time there were lots of people on the beach and tourist taking pictures.

    It was 1:00 PM and we had to go back to the pier to take tender boat. The last boat was at 2:30PM.

    We crossed the peninsula again and by 2:00 PM were on the tender boat. I walked 20,000 steps from 7:00 AM to 2:00 PM.

    For more pictures see link: https://photos.app.goo.gl/C55pUjXRwsKBfRdHA
    Read more