Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 38

    Puerto Montt, Chile

    February 9, 2020 in Chile ⋅ ⛅ 63 °F

    That is what our captain wrote:

    "In all my years of cruising South America, I have never been as fortunate with the weather as we have these past days.  In years past, I have been hanging on with my teeth in anchorages, or being tug assisted while trying to stay on a berth; this year we have been blessed with clear skies, sun and light winds, (maybe the weather Gods are looking after me on my last voyage, fingers crossed). "

    Yes, the weather has been absolutely perfect.

    The city was founded in 1853 and completely destroyed in a 1960 earthquake.  The surrounding countryside is becoming a popular tourist destination.

    Two years ago when we visited Puerto Montt, we had a tour to the lakes and volcano. Since there is not much to see in Puerto Montt, we decided to visit German town Puerto Varas. This town is approximately 12 miles from the port of Puerto Montt.
    Today was tender port. I got up at 6:00 AM, got in line for tender tickets. There were already big line to get tickets. People lined up since 5:00 AM.

    We did not get on the first tender, but managed to get on the second with all people that were going on ship tour.
    We had few choices on how to get to Puerto Varas: take city bus, taxi or Uber. There was another couple going the same way, so we split the cost of the car ride.

    Puerto Varas is a city in southern Chile's Lake District. It has a view of snow-capped Osorno and Calbuco volcanos. Both of these are still active. The town has traditional German architecture. It was build in early 20th century. The city is also known as "the city of roses". They are everywhere.
    We had very nice day walking in this small city, enjoying good weather, beautiful views and musicians playing on the main squire. Our car driver suggested a restaurant for a lunch and around noon we found this restaurant and had a delicious lunch. Boris ordered salmon and I got a king crab.
    After lunch we walked a little bit more and then we decided to take Uber back to Puerto Montt. Could not find the Uber, we took some local currency from ATM and decided to take a local bus. We had one concern: How do we fit a wheelchair on this mini bus?
    We waited for the bus maybe 5 minutes. When the bus came, locals loaded Boris and the wheelchair on the bus and the driver was driving the bus and holding the wheelchair.
    It took about 30 min to get to our destination.
    It was good and interesting experience. To see pictures of the day please go to the link: https://photos.app.goo.gl/Zz9awBeSvsE8o8bo8
    Read more