Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 11

    Puerto Chiapas. Iztapa and Chocolate

    January 24, 2023 in Mexico ⋅ ☀️ 86 °F

    This is our first visit to Puerto Chiapas, Mexico. Our friends, Erin and Mui visited this port 2 weeks ago and managed to set up a private tour for 4 of us.

    We stopped to see ruins of Izapa. It is an archaeological site dated 2500 years ago. The sites located on land of farmers. These sites are not supported by government since the traffic to see them is not heavy and can not bring big revenue. And it is sad, since the sites will not survive for much longer.
    Our driver/tour guide Fabio was very knowledgeable and explained many traditions and believes. Too many to list here.
    We visited three level pyramids and tried the game Maya people played a game ball ( it weighted 5kg). Our ball was light. We need lots of practice to play that game.

    After the ruins of Izapa, we drove to Tuxtla Chico. The town was preparing for celebration, which will be between January 23 and February 2nd. The streets were colourful with little flags and umbrellas.

    We were looking forward to a performance, but could only take pictures of woman in costumes. Beautiful costumes and ladies.

    Our next stop was in Chocolate La Parra house. The owner, Dona Josefina has an little shop and demonstrates the process of making chocolate. She won competition in Italy and France.

    We had hands on experience on making chocolate. We roasted beans, shell them and then grind them by hand until it forms as a paste. Then we ate our own made chocolate.

    After getting pretty full eating 100 percent bitter chocolate, we were invited to eat traditional meal of quesadillas and tamales. The drink was hot chocolate.
    In addition to hot chocolate it was very hot outside. 92 degrees. We really enjoyed this tour.
    This is our last stop in beautiful Mexico.
    Read more