Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 62

    Mindelo, Sao Vicente, Cape Verde

    March 16, 2023 in Cape Verde ⋅ ☀️ 73 °F

    Republic of Cape Verde is an archipelago and island country in the central Atlantic Ocean, consisting of ten volcanic islands.
    It was uninhabited until 15th century, when Portuguese discovered and colonised the islands. Cape Verde gained an independence in 1975. The population is a little over 500 thousands.

    After relaxing three days at sea, we arrived in Mindelo at 10:30am and shortly after met our guide David. Our group was 6 people. In addition to Erin, Mui and us there was another couple from California.
    We settled into the van and our first stop was a market that include some hand made stuff and interesting Portuguese blue and white tiles. We also visited fish and produce market.
    Then we drove to the highest point on the island. The view from the top is worth the drive. We stopped for a local coffee and liquor, then continued down to send dunes.
    At around 2:00pm we stopped for a lunch at what our guide told us the best restaurant on the island. I ordered octopus and Boris got tuna. Both were delicious and plentiful. We finished lunch with ice cream.
    On the way back to the ship we stopped at the beach. Unfortunately, only Mui and I wanted to swim, so we decided not to make other people wait and also we did not want to leave our stuff on the beach without someone watching it.
    Our next stop was our ship.
    Read more