Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 68

    Abidjan, Ivory Coast

    March 22, 2023 in Ivory Coast ⋅ ☁️ 86 °F

    Abidjan is the largest city and economic capital of the Ivory Cost. Population of the city is over 6mil.
    Abidjan was originally a small fishing village, but in 1896, following a series of deadly yellow fever epidemics, French colonists who settled in Grand-Bassam decided to move to a safer place. In 1903 Abidjan officially became a town.
    The city expanded after construction of a new wharf in 1933.
    Abidjan became an economic capital of the country.

    We docked in Abidjan at 10:00am and today we booked an 8 hours tour to Grand Bassam.

    Grand-Bassam is a resort town near the city of Abidjan. We were hoping to go for a swim, but first we had to get out of the port and drive thru the city. And what a drive it was! We were escorted by three policemen on motorcycles. They were driving ahead of us pushing cars to the sides and making just enough room for us to pass through. Sometimes the bus was driving on the opposite side of the road agains the traffic. Boris and I were in the front seat witnessing the show. There were six buses with passengers from the cruise ship going together. The ambulance was going behind our bus convoy.

    We stopped at a market. It was very dark and hot inside the building. I guess the power was off.
    We then entered Grand-Bassam.
    The old French-colonial town center, once the nation’s capital, is filled with decaying 19th- and 20th-century houses. The National Museum of Costume displays examples of traditional dress in a former governor’s palace. It is a small museum.
    The costumes are displayed behind dirty glass. Impossible to take pictures due to the reflection from the glass.
    We spent a little time in this museum and returned back to our bus.

    Our next stop was a beach resort where we had lunch.
    After lunch, more driving. We stopped at so called museum of civilisation.
    The next stop was St. Paul Cathedral. Huge Cathedral with beautiful stain glass windows.
    More driving, another market. Boris and I stayed on the bus while other people shopped.
    After that more crazy driving. Finally, we are back on the ship.
    Quick dinner, shower and we are ready to sleep.
    Read more