Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 113

    Colombo, Sri Lanka. Day 2

    May 6, 2023, Bay of Bengal ⋅ 🌬 84 °F

    After more or less restful night, we had an early breakfast at the hotel and were on the road by 8:00am. The Google map showed the driving time to Colombo around 3,5 hours. On the way we stopped to take pictures of the lake and a Temple during the day light. Another location for a short stop was a place where lots of monkey were sitting on the guard rails.
    We stopped at the tea factory where we had a tour and tasting of 9 different teas. Gold tea is only available in Sri Lanka. Short stop to take pictures of the rice plantation.

    Then we arrived in Colombo and the first stop was an Independence Square with Independence Memorial Hall in the middle.

    Independence Memorial Hall is a national monument in Sri Lanka built for commemoration of the independence of Sri Lanka from the British rule with the restoration of full governing responsibility to a Ceylonese-elected legislature on 4 February 1948. Located at the head of the monument is the statue of the first prime minister of the country

    Our last stop was Gangaramaya Temple. The temple's architecture demonstrates an eclectic mix of Sri Lankan, Thai, Indian, and Chinese architecture.
    We spent quite a long time there. Unfortunately, the heat was unbearable and we were getting really tired.
    We asked our guide to take us back to the ship.
    After quick lunch and a shower we felt a little better, but still very tired after seven days of touring in the heat. Glad we have two sea days in front of us. We went to bed at 8:00pm.
    Read more