Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 122

    Penang, Malaysia

    May 15, 2023 in Singapore ⋅ ☀️ 88 °F

    We booked a private tour for 4 people. Erin and Mui joined us for this tour.

    Penang is the 8th most populated state in Malaysia. Its population stood at nearly 1.8million. The density of population is one of the highest in Malaysia.

    Aside from the three main races, the Malays, Chinese, and Indians, Penang is home to significant Eurasian, Siamese and expatriate communities.

    Penang Island and Seberang Perai on the Malay Peninsula connected by 15miles bridge.
    The area became British colony in 1867.

    Our first stop was George Town where we had a chance to see and take pictures of some murals.
    Our next destination was The Pinang Peranakan Mansion. It is a museum dedicated to Penang's Peranakan heritage. The museum itself is housed within a distinctive green-hued mansion at Church Street, George Town, which once served as the residence and office of a 19th-century Chinese tycoon.
    It has thousands of collectible items from furniture to rugs to dishes to decorations. Hard to describe.

    After spending few hours in this museum, we continue driving and stopping at few Chinese temples to take pictures.
    On our next stop, our tour guide was taking us to the Penang Hill. Unfortunately, the weather was getting cloudy and we were wondering if it’s make sense to go on the hill. The visibility was getting pretty bad.

    To reach the top we had to take Penang Hill Railway. It is a one-section funicular railway. The railway first opened in 1923 as a two-section railway, but was overhauled in 2010 into a one-section system. It is build and controls by Sweden. It takes only 5min to reach the top.

    By the time we got to the top, it was pouring rain, no visibility. We took few pictures, tried to have something to eat, but no eatery took credit cards or dollars.
    Back in the car, we stopped at another colourful temple and returned to the ship.
    Read more