Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 135

    Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam. Day 1

    May 28, 2023 in Vietnam ⋅ ☁️ 86 °F

    Today and tomorrow we are docked in Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon). We are staying overnight.
    Instead of Saigon (we have been there in 2017), I booked a private tour to delta of Mekong River.

    The Mekong Delta is the region in southwestern Vietnam where the Mekong River approaches and empties into the sea through a network of distributaries. The Mekong delta region encompasses a large portion of south-western Vietnam. The size of the area covered by water depends on the season. Its makes it an important source of agriculture for the country.

    The ship was cleared by 11:00am and shortly after we met our guide. Today, there are 6 people in our group: Younga, David, Peggy, Clyde and us.
    After driving for 1.5 hours (1/2 way to our destination) we arrived at town My Tho.
    We got transferred to a small boat and went around islands on the river to one of the islands with a restaurant.
    We had delicious lunch of local fish, shrimp, chicken, veggies and sticky rice, followed by watermelon.
    Then into a coconut candy making presentation. We got into hand rowing sampan ride to see local folk music performance. Riding along the water canals was very soothing.
    After sampling local fruits and tea and listening to local singers, back on the boat to meet our van.
    We drove for another two hours to reach our final destination city of Can Tho.
    We checked into our hotel. Our room overlooked Mekong river. The room was big and beautiful, the bed was huge, the size of two queen size beds put together.
    Younga and David stayed in a different hotel.
    We met at our hotel and went to a famous street market. It is about 5 min walk, but took us longer. With traffic and uneven roads, it was very hard on Boris. The streets were full of people, vendors selling food and merchandise. The street along the river felt very festive with lights and music. We also were looking for a restaurant to eat dinner.
    After dinner, Boris and I went back to our hotel, but Younga and David found another market and walked to their hotel.
    After a quick shower, it was time to sleep. Tomorrow is an early start.
    Read more