Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 16

    American Samoa

    January 18 in American Samoa ⋅ ⛅ 84 °F

    This is our second visit to Pago Pago (pronouncing Pango Pango) American Samoa.
    Since we were here before, we chose a short 3 hours tour and then we decided we will go on the beach.
    The tour started exactly at 8:00 AM. We got into our wooden school bus without a/c and with no windows. That is all they have on this island.
    Samoa produces 80 percent of all canned tuna. The second employer is US army.

    The territory is noted for having the highest rate of military enlistment of any U.S.

    Residents of American Samoa are politically disenfranchised, with no voting representation in the U.S. Congress. American Samoa is the only permanently inhabited territory of the United States in which citizenship is not granted at birth, and people born there are considered "non-citizen nationals" with limited rights.

    Our guide was very friendly and knowledgeable. He talked about way of life on this island. It’s a USA territory, but they maintain a traditional culture. All people speak English and their native language. Family values are very strong. Family lives in one house, expanding it if the family grows. He lives in the house with his parents, his wife and a child and four more brothers with families.

    We stopped at few places to take pictures and also to see medicinal plants. We hiked in Samoa National Park. It is the only American National Park in southern hemisphere.

    Then we stopped at the center for yummy food. Fish in coconut milk, banana chips and all kind of fruits. Also we tasted local beer. Never seen avocados this size.
    After that we saw coconut breaking demonstration and tasted fresh coconut milk and coconut flakes .

    After that some people went to a local market, but we went back on the ship. Too hot to do anything else.
    Need rest before tomorrow’s whole day tour.
    Read more