Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 9

    Wandering Fairhaven & Ferry Embarkation

    August 4, 2017 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 23 °C

    Breakfast then taxi ride to Bellingham Ferry Terminal. After checkin we shoved our bags (literally - they were an extremely tight fit) into lockers and set off to explore Fairhaven, a historical town a short walk from the terminal.
    After deciding to have a late lunch/early dinner we chose to dine at a Mexican Restaurant. Our meals were delicious but massive. We easily could have shared and still not needed to eat for the rest of the day! Neil's was the world's biggest chimichanga.
    Waddling out of the restaurant we then needed to walk our meals off. Fairhaven is only a small town so it wasn't long before we had seen all there was to see. After an entertaining chat with some locals it was time to return to the ferry terminal, retrieve our bags and board the ferry, Malaspina, the first leg of our inland cruise - Bellingham to Ketchikan.
    This passage was booked originally for the Colombia but it was taken in for repairs and replaced with a smaller ferry. I am thankful that I booked a long time ahead as those who booked later on received emails informing them that they no longer had cabins and would need to bring a tent and/or sleeping bags to kip out up on deck or in the lounges. Another "glad it wasn't me" moment. Our two birth cabin was replaced for a four birth cabin so we were comfy.
    With no need for an evening meal I left Neil in the cabin to rest his leg while I explored the ferry like an excited child.
    Read more