Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 67

    Dinosaurs Galore

    October 1, 2017 in Canada ⋅ 🌬 7 °C

    Today started out windy, cloudy and cold and remained that way for the remainder of the day.
    Drumhellar has embraced the dinosaur in a big way. There are dinosaurs of varying sizes on every other corner and in various shades of the rainbow. Outside the tourist info centre there is a massive dinosaur that you can climb inside and stand in his mouth to get an aerial shot of the town. Kitch, most certainly, but all part of the Drumhellar experience. Dinosaurs are important to this town and region. Dinosaurs and tourism has brought the place back to life and given the locals jobs.
    Today’s activity was the Royal Tyrrel dinosaur museum. One word - wow! A not to be missed activity if visiting anywhere in Alberta. 200,000 dinosaur bones and fossils have been found in the badlands area of Alberta. The museum is a mix of real fossils and bones and recreations. The fossils are an ever changing display as only a small number of those found can be displayed. The museum is also a working museum with a large lab for their research.
    From Drumhellar we made our way to Red Deer for the night. Walmart car park.
    Read more