Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 68

    Red Deer to Edmonton

    October 2, 2017 in Canada ⋅ ☁️ 0 °C

    The wind howled all night rocking the van at regular intervals as the gusts came through. At some stage during the early morning the rain turned to snow and we woke to a blanket of white across the Walmart car park.
    The QE2 highway back to Edmonton was regularly cleared by the snow ploughs barrelling along. Silly me for imagining that they would do that job in a sedate manner. Because it was snowing continuously the road remained slippery. Neil stayed at a cautious speed but that could not be said for many others. Cars and semis that were not travelling with caution or respect for the first snow storm of the season ended up off the side or in the middle. And it was not just one or two. The tow trucks were in for a busy day!
    We arrived safely in Edmonton, refuelled and headed to a RV for the night. The weather was clear. Don’t think Edmonton had snow. Rain perhaps. But is was very windy and cold.
    We chose a RV park that was right next door to the van depot. We needed to do a dump and a cleanup before returning the van in the morning. What a bad choice. It was expensive, the water hookup was lousy and the showers were an extra and needed to be payed for. We’ll go one more night without the shower.
    After dinner we began having trouble with the gas/co2 alarm. With a lot of phone calls to Canadream, and of lot of mucking around we finally managed to silence the thing and go to bed to get warm. In for a cold, cold night.
    Read more