Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 109

    Cabot Trail

    November 12, 2017 in Canada ⋅ ☀️ 1 °C

    Today was a six hour drive along the Cabot Trail, a windy road that took us around the coastline across the Cape Breton Highlands National Park, around Cape North, along the coastline on the other side looping back towards Sydney. Our destination at the end of the day, however, did not take us back that far but to Baddeck, a village on Bras d’Or.
    The scenery all day - spectacular. The Highlands are appropriately named as they are high lands (who’d have thought) and with the weather being just a tad chilly there was snow. The roads were icy in parts, snowy in others and bendy all the way. Neil handled the driving conditions with aplomb! The navigator didn’t do too badly either only choosing the wrong road once, but ...... it got us to the right destination. Thank god for that!
    The inn we are staying at has us and only us as guests. For dinner we went to the Freight Shed, a restaurant in an old shed down on a wharf in the small harbour area. We had scant instructions to get us to there - walk down the street opposite the inn, a five minute walk. The street opposite tool us down to the lake, we headed along the boardwalk found nothing and decided we would have to settle for pizza (not a prospect I was looking forward to as I am not a fan). Luckily we decided to ask a local walking her dog along the main road. We walked past the Freight Shed and hadn’t noticed that it was indeed a restaurant. Thought it was an old shed. The food mmm, mmmm.
    I will have to find more words to describe beautiful scenery - Baddeck is striking!
    Read more