Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 126

    Day 1 Boston

    November 29, 2017 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 15 °C

    It is always good when you arrive too late somewhere to get some tucker in for the next day and beyond. Or perhaps not. Woke up starving. We have got a Keurig Coffee Maker though and there are some pods in the cupboard. Although they are decaffeinated when that is all there is to be had who am I to hold back or be picky.
    With a coffee under our belts we set out to find a supermarket.
    We are in a great part of town, the North End or Little Italy. Extremely narrow streets - some too narrow for cars. Just around the corner we head into Italian restaurant heaven. One after the other - two streets of them then across a main drag and we are downtown. Very central.
    Across the main drag we came to the public marketplace - an organic and artisan market. We had two pastry puffy things for breakfast. Mine was cheesy and I thought it was delicious. Neil”s cinnamon and he was not at all impressed. Can’t please everyone!
    The city is a mixture of very old and ultra modern, the historic, the not too distant past and looking to the future I guess. All the downtown area is on relatively narrow streets, some of which are cobbled. Nice! The whole area is abuzz with the locals gearing up for Christmas and putting up decorations ready for the official turning on of the various big Christmas trees. The lighting up of the lights are staggered over the next couple of nights.
    Groceries bought and stowed back in the apartment we were hitting the pavement again to find the tourist office for a map I can see and some literature on the sights. And of course a bit of a wander to get our bearings.
    Found the Quincy Markets on the way back - a hall with a wide variety of snack and light meal treats. Smelt amazing - will definitely be back there.
    Dinner completed and this dealt with so it is off to bed for this sleepy head. I am pooped!
    Read more